Monday, March 9, 2009

Oldies...


As I am about to go to bed, I am in an oldies mood. I thought to myself, why do I like oldies.... many people have asked me that question before too. I have very extreme tastes in music, and many people can not figure it out... Therefore, some insight on my love for oldies....

1st... almost all oldies songs are carefree. They are written about simple things. They do not talk about bitches, hoes, sluts, drinking, partying, money, and or whatever kind of crap is being sung about today. In my oldies experience three main song themes spring to mind... love (being in, falling in, or losing someone they love) girls, and fun times. Most oldies are catchy and uplifting. If you think about it, oldies are really the first form of modern expression. Most music before the 50s was either jazz, swing, or classical... It was hard to find a way to express one's self, without being frowned upon. These songs are early trend setters.

2... there is a historical allusion in most of these songs. Most of these songs paint a historical picture looking at the popular culture at the time. The Beach Boys talked about surfin, cars, and girls... they were really some of the first rockstars.. if you dont believe me, read up on them. The words and phrases used in some songs are unique and interesting.... for example... 'at the hop' and ' pants so old that they shined'. Oldies are a link to a time when music was easy and happy.

3.. Its a connection to my parents, more specifically my dad. My dad is one of the smartest people I have ever come across. He hates any sort of music that I listen to now, with some exceptions. When oldies shows/ concerts come in town, I like to go see them with him and hear his stories. I find it very interesting when he tells me about the memories he has with some songs.

4... I was a fan from when I was a baby. Since I was a baby, I have been listening to oldies. My dad used to play oldies in the car, at home, and pretty much anytime the radio was on. Plus, when I was younger I was a troubled baby. I had a lot of health problems. I used to not sleep very well and used to cry a lot. The first song that ever put me to sleep was called ' Sink the Bismarck' by Johnny Horton. It is still one of my favorite songs to this day.

I find that no matter what mood I am in, oldies can usually shake my mood. I dont know what it is about them, but I find solace, peace, and hapiness with them.

5 current listens...

- Since I Met You Baby - Ivory Joe Hunter
- Bottle of Wine - Jimmy Gilmore and the Fireballs
- Johnny B. Goode- Chuck Berry
- Little Bit O Soul - Music Explosion
- Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show - Neil Diamond

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment